The AEU and education support members: a great team
Education support members and the AEU are making a real difference to education outcomes, while improving ES working conditions across the state.
Working with the AEU, education support members have achieved:
- A salary increase of more than 26% over the life of the VGSA 2022 at the top of Range 1, covering most ES employed by DET.
- Revised Dimensions of Work allowing thousands of ES to access higher classification through range reviews.
- More than 10,000 ES staff translated from insecure, short-term contract work to ongoing employment since 2017.
- Introduction of group size supervision, providing clearer boundaries and expectations.
- Paid recall for ES staff who work over school holidays.
- Strengthened time-in-lieu entitlements.
- A leave purchase allowance for ES staff who work over school holidays.
- Reform of the classification structure to reflect the work value of the ES role, so ES staff may advance from one salary range to the next without the role being advertised. This means ES do not have to compete with external applicants.
- All ES positions linked to Student Support Funding are now ongoing.
The AEU is your representative voice.
ES members play a crucial role in AEU decision-making, with strong representation on Branch Council and as ES Reps on sub branches.
Although ES staff share many common issues with their teacher colleagues, the AEU knows that there are also some very specific challenges that ES face, and these need to be understood and represented. The stronger our membership, and the more active and involved our members, the more power we have to make meaningful improvements to ES pay and conditions.