Would you like to:
Read about your pay & conditions
attend your next local aeu meeting
Join our CRT member Facebook group
See COVID FAQs for schools
Casual Relief Teachers and the AEU
Casual Relief Teachers (CRTs) are a vital part of the education system. Did you know nearly 1 in 5 teachers are employed as a casual? Or that approximately 10% of students’ learning is delivered by CRTs?
That’s why the AEU has campaigned hard for CRT interests, delivering major achievements including:
- Significant pay increases for CRTs, up to a $69-per-day improvement over the award rate.
- A salary structure linked to the classroom teacher salary subdivision 1-5 in the current Victorian Government Schools Agreement, including yearly pay increases.
- Professional development exclusively for CRTs, and delivered during term breaks.
- Access to legal advice and support on a case-by-case basis.
- Reciprocal membership with the Independent Education Union, so you are covered no matter which sector you are working in on any given day.
- Recovering money from agencies for underpaid CRTs.
- Improved access to school provisions and information, including the Employee Assistance Program (phone 1300 361 008).
- Network meetings where CRTs can share their interests, questions, and ideas to ensure the profession continues to thrive.
These successes have only been won because we have the full weight of 50,000 AEU members behind AEU CRT members. When we work and stand together, we win.
Your representative voice
The AEU is run by members, for members. CRTs play a vital role in helping set the AEU’s strategic priorities and supporting the AEU’s decision-making.
If you’re a CRT looking to learn more about the AEU, come along to one of our CRT network meetings or regional meetings, and join us in our online communities. The best place start is by joining our CRT Facebook group.