AEU Victoria surveyed almost 500 TAFE teachers across Victoria as part of its annual State of Our TAFEs report.
Here are the key findings:
- TAFE teachers have been working an average 6.8 hours of unpaid overtime per week over the past 12 months
- More than 90% reported an increase in administrative workload, with 60% saying it had increased "significantly"
- More than 75% reported an increase in work-related stress and 75% had considered leaving their job in the last 12 months
- Teachers' main concerns were excessive teaching workloads and administrative duties, lack of lob security and low levels of pay
- Nearly 95% said they were expected to deliver the same course within reduced hours, making it more difficult for students to complete their studies
More than 85% believed the quality of education delivered at their TAFE was being affected by under-funding