Discover the benefits
The Australian Education Union is the major union in education, with over 180,000 members nationally and nearly 50,000 members in Victoria. If you work in public education, we make your life easier.
- Members get immediate advice and assistance on anything from agreement entitlements to WorkCover
- We help with your questions on health and safety, disciplinary issues and complaints, leave entitlements, contract and casual work, superannuation and retirement, and much more
Representing you at work and at large
- We take up with your employer or management any problems you might experience at work
- We negotiate awards and agreements that benefit all educators
- We speak as a major voice in the national education debate and on major issues
- We stand up for all Australian workers as one of the largest members of the ACTU
Legal advice and representation
AEU lawyers can provide free, comprehensive legal support and representation for members in disciplinary and other work-related matters, and free initial legal consultation on any matter.
The AEU is a leading provider of training, both industrial and professional. Members have access to:
- The AEU Active course to learn how to stand up for your rights in your workplace
- A wide range of professional development courses in all sectors
- Training and support in applying for jobs and preparing for leadership
- Support and a forum for discussion for members in their first four years of teaching
- AEU Principals Association, catering for needs of members in school leadership positions.
Keeping you informed
Stay up-to-date with the latest union and professional news. Members receive free copies of:
- Our magazine AEU News, printed twice a term and packed with news, features and columns
- Termly newsletters for your sector and a fortnightly campaigning e-newsletter informing you of developments
- Professional Voice, our professional journal, contributing to national debate about issues in education.
More benefits through our partners
Union membership gives access to a host of other services that save you money, including:
- Mutual and customer-owned banking and finance and legal support
- Superannuation and retirement advice
- Low cost private health cover and travel insurance
- Low interest loans and discount shopping services via Union Shopper
- Networking opportunities within the AEU and the trade union movement on issues such as curriculum, social justice and the environment.