Your pay and conditions
Teachers and principals employed by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development are covered by the Victorian Government Schools Agreement (VGSA) 2008, supported by a memorandum of understanding between the AEU and department.
In addition, teachers employed by the department are covered by the Teachers (Victorian Government Schools) Conditions of Employment Award 2001 although under the Fair Work Act (section 57), its terms do not apply as long as an agreement is in operation.
This is an old federal award which remains in place under Victoria's referral of industrial powers to Canberra. Under the FWA, it must be modernised by 31 December 2013. Principals and assistant principals are not included in the award.
VGSA 2008 nominally expired on 31 December, 2011, but its provisions remain in place until a new agreement comes into effect. Under VGSA, teachers and principals received a pay increase of 2.75% in January 2012.
Download the Agreement
- Schools Agreement 2008 and Memorandum of Understanding (PDF 293KB)
- Teachers pay rates from January 2012 (PDF 50KB)
- Principals pay rates from January 2012 (PDF 40KB)
- Paraprofessionals and VSL instructors pay rates from January 2012 (PDF 40KB)
Advice, guidance and resources for AEU members
The AEU produces advice sheets, guidance documents, model letters and other resources for members and sub-branches to use in understanding and getting the most out of the agreement, including a comprehensive Implementation Guide.
Topics covered include:
- Contract teaching and your rights to ongoing employment
- Part-time teaching
- Salary progression and performance review